Temporary Insurance for Suspended Businesses
One of our markets, Markel, is willing to provide an economical insurance solution for small businesses that are temporarily closed due to COVID-19 ordinance requirements. Upon expiration, we wish to renew the policy on annual terms with premises/operations coverage!
Available in Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, New York*, New Jersey, and Vermont
- Coverages available: GL and incidental Property.
- GL coverage will be offered with an Ongoing Operations exclusion CG2153 (products-completed ops, PI/AI, med
pay coverage not excluded)
- They are targeting new business opportunities; we have alternative solutions for existing Markel accounts
- 90 day policy term*
- GL flat charges range from $300 to $500 based on risk type ($1/2MIL limits); property MP is $100
- Premium is 100% earned
- Business is temporarily closed due to local, state, or federal ordinance requirements around COVID-19 pandemic
- Business fits current underwriting guidelines when operational
- Business must have had continuous insurance coverage for the past 3 years (or for the # of years in business if less than 3). Exceptions for small lapses may be made subject to carrier underwriter approval.
- Targeted business will have average annual receipts <= $500k per year prior to temporary shutdown.
- Bars, taverns, nightclubs, apartments, hotels, motels, janitorial, temporary or semi-permanent sites & facilities designed to test, diagnose, or evaluate for communicable diseases. (they consider bars/taverns to be establishments with >= 35% or more of gross receipts come from liquor sales when operational)
- Businesses that are still conducting operations at a reduced capacity (i.e. a restaurant or deli that offers carry-out or delivery)
- Businesses that have permanently closed or those that have no intention of reopening after 90 days
- Vacant buildings (meaning all business personal property & stock has been removed)
- Project specific construction risks
- Monoline property
All accounts should be submitted to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Business description
- Latest Acord and supplemental applications
- Copy of current policy dec page and forms schedule
- Expected term of business suspension (if beyond July 15th 2020)
- Loss history
*Not Available in New York City -5 burroughs
*Policy extension due to additional business suspension will require Markel UW approval